Part-time Opportunity for Graduate Student: Computational Reproducibility and Verification
Join a team conducting computational reproducibility and data quality checks of articles slated for publication in premiere social science journals. The Verifier position offers graduate students an excellent opportunity to advance their skills and knowledge in statistical methods, coding, and data management while gaining an in-depth perspective of the scholarly publication landscape and broader issues related to reproducible research.
What does a verifier do?
As a verifier, you will:
- Execute the analysis using the author-provided code, data, and supplemental material to produce results presented in the manuscript,
- Compare your results, tables, and figures to those in the manuscript, and
- Record the results of this attempt in a standardized report, which is submitted to the journal’s editorial staff.
The verification work at the Odum Institute is ongoing; we are seeking candidates that:
- Are able to begin work during the summer and continue throughout the year,
- Commit at least 10 hours per week, which you can perform remotely and have a flexible schedule,
- Attend occasional team meetings, in person and remote options are available, and
- Must be a currently enrolled UNC graduate student.
Pay is $20/hour. Tuition and insurance benefits are not offered for this position. To apply, please send a cover letter and CV or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be asked to demonstrate their competencies by performing a verification on a sample manuscript.