Integrating Memos and Codes in Qualitative Analysis (online)
March 7 @ 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
PLEASE NOTE: NEW Course Date Change now March 7, 2023!
This 2.5 hour course will be offered via Zoom. Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
This course focuses on what it means to develop codes and how to integrate memo writing into the larger process of coding and analysis. Coding and memo writing function as simultaneous and fluid tasks that occur during actively reviewing interviews, focus groups, and multi-media data. We will discuss the tension between deductive and inductive codes and how codes can emerge and shift unexpectedly during analysis. We will also cover how to identify code connections, possible hierarchies, and higher-level themes.
Instructor: Paul Mihas
Paul Mihas is the Assistant Director of Qualitative Research at the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He is the former managing editor of Social Forces, a journal of sociology published at the University of North Carolina Press.
He has partnered with ResearchTalk Inc. since 2001 as a senior qualitative analysis consultant and has lectured on qualitative methods, software, and strategies for analysis at several universities, including the University of Puerto Rico and Howard University. Since 2013, he has taught at the Global School in Empirical Research Methods at the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland. He has also served as faculty at the annual Qualitative Research Summer Intensive and as a mentor at ResearchTalk’s Qualitative Data Analysis Camps.
Mihas is a co-author with Ray Maietta on Sort and Sift, Think and Shift (forthcoming, Routledge). His interests include mixed methods and incorporating memo writing in analysis; his current research focuses on cancer survivors and identities of survivorship.
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $20 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholar: $40
- Non UNC-CH: $40
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 3/4/2023. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding this class, please contact Jill Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org