Academic Publishing 101: From Idea to Article…and Beyond (online)
October 13 @ 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
This course will be available online via Zoom. Registration is required to secure your spot. This course will NOT be recorded – attendance is required.
Although graduate school teaches you many things, many Ph.D. students complete their dissertations having never been fully trained in academic publishing. How does academic publishing actually work? Where should you publish your research? How do you actually get papers accepted in strong academic journals? In this talk, we will discuss several major ideas in academic publishing (focusing on the social sciences). We will discuss:
- professional integrity and ethics
- the role of academic conversations and communities as a guide for publication forums and journal selections
- the mechanics of publishing in journals and other forums (including outlining, writing style, journal, legal, and newspaper submissions, the peer review process, revisions, and corresponding with editors)
- and acceptance and all that follows.
Course schedule for the day:
- 9am – 10:15am
- 10:30am – 11:45am
- 12:45pm – 2pm
- 2:15pm – 3:30pm
Instructor: Todd BenDor
Todd BenDor is a Professor of City and Regional Planning at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His research and teaching focus on developing ways to better understand and prevent impacts from urban growth on sensitive environmental systems.
Much of his recent research has studied the social, economic, and ecological consequences of ecosystem service markets and ecological restoration regulations. He has also developed computer models to assess the opportunities and consequences of urban growth, as well as promote environmental conflict resolution.
Professor BenDor is a faculty member in UNC’s Curriculum for the Environment and Ecology. He holds a B.S. from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute, an M.S. from Washington State University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- UNC Chapel Hill Students: $0, with a $35 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC Chapel Hill Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholars: $80
- Non-UNC Chapel Hill University Student/Employee (must have active university email): $105
- Government/Non-Profit/Corporate: $130
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 10/10/23. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link will be emailed to those attending virtually.