- This event has passed.
Analyzing Large Datasets with the Julia Language (Online)
September 27, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
This 3.5 hour course will be offered via Zoom. Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
This course will teach participants how to use the programming language Julia to load, clean, plot, and analyze social-science data. Julia is a newer programming language with a focus on high-performance scientific computing, and allows efficient manipulation of large datasets. The course will cover the basics of loading tabular data; cleaning, filtering, and joining that data; calculating descriptive statistics; and estimating statistical models.
Instructor: Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway
Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway is an Assistant Professor in the Department of City and Regional Planning and a consultant in the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science. His research interests are in travel behavior, urban transportation, and statistical methods for transportation data analysis. He is available to assist researchers with statistics and data analysis.
Dr. Bhagat-Conway has a PhD and MA in Geography from Arizona State University, and a BA in Geography from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Prior to graduate school, he was a software developer and project manager for Conveyal, a public transport planning consulting firm, and a fellow in the Data Science for Social Good fellowship at the University of Chicago.
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $20 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholar: $40
- Non UNC-CH: $40
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 9/27/2022. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding the status of this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com