- This event has passed.
Capturing Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) in Survey Research (Online)
March 29 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
This course will be offered via Zoom only. However, this course will not be recorded.
This short course will provide participants with a broad overview of considerations and approaches for capturing sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) in survey research. This includes examining the current best practices and approaches, and considerations for sampling and other key design considerations when researching these populations. The workshop is intended to give participants an opportunity to better understand the various current approaches to measuring SOGI, and hands-on practice developing responsive best-practice versions of SOGI questions for their own research needs.
• The (in)consistency of including SOGI items in research
• Reviewing national and state approaches to SOGI data collection
• The components of sexual orientation and gender identity
• Measuring SOGI together, and separately
• Considerations when measuring SOGI minorities among other minority groups
• Thinking of SOGI as a not-so-sensitive answer, but potentially a sensitive question
• Moving beyond binaries in response options
• Developing fit-for-purpose SOGI questions for unique subpopulations or survey needs
• Resources for SOGI best-practices and emerging research
This course will count as 4.0 CSS short course credit hours.
Instructor: Justine Bulgar-Medina
This is part of the RTI/Odum series of short courses. There are no registration fees associated with this course, but registration is required to secure your spot. At this time registration is limited to persons affiliated with a university in the Triangle region of North Carolina or with RTI International. You must register under a university email address from the Triangle area or an RTI email address in order to receive zoom information to access the course. All other registrations will be deleted/invalidated.
This class and waitlist are now FULL.
Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.