Designing Multi-Item Scales and Questionnaire Development (online)
September 6 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
An event every 2 days that begins at 9:00 am, repeating until September 8, 2022
This course will be offered over 2 mornings (9/6/2022 and 9/8/2022) via Zoom only. However, this course will not be recorded.
This course provides in introduction to developing multi-item scale measures and survey instruments. Examples include measures of various social and psychological variables that might be assessed in health, medicine, journalism, or other related research areas. After a brief theoretical introduction to topics such as defining a construct and types of validity, we will turn to applied issues such as what is the optimal scale development process and how (and when) can you deviate from that process. We will also address practical issues around questionnaire design such as how to construct a “good” survey instrument that has a natural flow, minimizes participant burden, has appropriate response options and other common concerns in scale development and design. We will focus on real-life examples to demonstrate the scale development process. Although we will briefly discuss the kinds of quantitative techniques that are commonly used in the scale development process, this course will not cover the application of these methods.
Instructor: Marcella Boynton
Dr. Boynton has been conducting psychometrics research for 15 years, with an emphasis on health-related constructs. A social psychologist by training, Dr. Boynton is currently an assistant professor in the UNC Division of General Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, School of Medicine and a biostatistician at UNC NC TraCS Institute where she provides statistics, research methods, and psychometrics support to a wide range of translational and behavioral scientists.
This course will count as 7.0 CSS Short Course credit hours.
- Certificate of Survey Science Students: $40
- UNC-CH Students: $65
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholar: $90
- Non UNC-CH: $90
Additional course information:
- This class will be offered via Zoom ONLY. Registration opens 7/6/22. Registration closes at 12:01am, 9/3/2022. Once registration closes, no late registrations will be accepted, no exceptions.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding the status of this class, please contact Jill Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org