Discussion and Practical Application of Data Visualization Best Practices Using Survey Data (Online)
February 8, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
An event every 2 days that begins at 1:00 pm, repeating until February 10, 2022
This course will be offered via Zoom only and will not be recorded.
The purpose of this course is to present best practices for creating graphics from survey data and provide guidance for developing a critical eye that will allow attendees to best evaluate data visualizations for quality and accuracy. This short course will demonstrate how good data visualization can be used to explore relationships in survey data, and produce visual displays that enhance project reports and presentations. At the end of the course, attendees will be able to recognize common graphical mistakes that lead to inaccuracies and less effective graphics. They will also be provided with code that will allow them to reproduce some of the graphics discussed.
This is a two-day (2/8 AND 2/10) class and each day will be 1:00pm – 5:00pm. Each day of class is required.
This course will count as 7.0 CSS short course credits.
Instructors: Edward Mulrow and Nola du Toit
Edward Mulrow is an Accredited Professional Statistician™ and Fellow of the American Statistical Association (ASA), and is the 2019 Joint Statistical Meetings Program Chair for the ASA Section on Statistical Graphics. He has over 30 years of statistical consulting experience and has organized data visualization workshops and seminars that provided training, in-person consultation, and strategies for communicating statistical analyses in a visual way.
Nola du Toit uses her experience as Research Methodologist to inform and create infographic reports and data visualizations. Her activities covers the entire information visualization process, including data measurement and conceptualization, user understanding and interpretation, and design principles.
- Certificate of Survey Science Students: $40
- UNC-CH Students: $65
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc: $90
- Non UNC-CH: $90
Additional course information:
- This class will be offered via Zoom ONLY. Registration opens 12/8/21. Registration closes at 12:01am, 2/5/2022. Once registration closes, no late registrations will be accepted, no exceptions.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding the status of this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com