- This event has passed.
An Introduction to Mixed Methods for Social Scientists (Online)
August 25 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
This class is now full and no longer accepting registrations.
This is a 2-day (8/25 and 8/27) course that runs from 10am – 4pm each day. It will be offered via Zoom and will not be recorded.
Social scientists are often interested in untangling complex social issues, which require creative and expansive data and methods to address. Mixed methods research typically refers to research design and implementation that combines qualitative and quantitative data collection and/or analysis techniques.
The goal of this two-day course is to introduce conceptual and practical frameworks and considerations in developing, designing, implementing, executing, analyzing, presenting, and writing up mixed methods research. We will focus on practical tools and challenges confronted across the stages of mixed methods research. This course is designed for those relatively new to mixed methods research, and interested in learning about it as a research approach and learning about considerations and principles in designing and executing it. Participants are encouraged to bring questions and queries about their own projects so we can discuss these as a group.
Instructor: Shiri Noy
Shiri Noy is Assistant Professor of Sociology at Denison University. She has taught both graduate and undergraduate research methods, and has conducted and published interdisciplinary and sociological research across methods and in mixed methods. She is fundamentally interested in how we approach ways of understanding the social world, and how best to collect and analyze data that helps us untangle and address issues of substantive, conceptual, theoretical, and empirical interest.
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $35 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc: $95
- Non-UNC-CH: $145
Additional course information:
- This class will be offered via Zoom ONLY. Registration closes at 12:01am, August 22, 2021. Once registration closes, no late registrations will be accepted, no exceptions.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.