- This event has passed.
Intermediate Python (online)
February 10 @ 9:00 am - 11:30 am
An event every 2 days that begins at 9:00 am, repeating until February 10, 2023
This course will be offered over three mornings (2/6, 2/8, and 2/10/23), 2.5 hours per morning, via Zoom. Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
This course will expand on the concepts taught in the Introduction to Python course. We will cover more in-depth exercises with the pandas library for tabular data analysis, and in particular explore techniques for using indexing effectively and for working with large datasets. We will cover additional tools provided by pandas for data cleaning and manipulation, and more advanced visualization. We will also cover Python dependency management and reproducibility, and discuss creating standalone Python scripts outside of Jupyter Notebook. Participants should have some experience using Python to load and perform basic manipulations and plots of tabular data.
Instructor: Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway
Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway is an Assistant Professor in the Department of City and Regional Planning and a consultant in the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science. His research interests are in travel behavior, urban transportation, and statistical methods for transportation data analysis. He is available to assist researchers with statistics and data analysis.
Dr. Bhagat-Conway has a PhD and MA in Geography from Arizona State University, and a BA in Geography from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Prior to graduate school, he was a software developer and project manager for Conveyal, a public transport planning consulting firm, and a fellow in the Data Science for Social Good fellowship at the University of Chicago.
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $35 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholar: $40
- Non UNC-CH: $85
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 2/3/2023. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding the this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com