- This event has passed.
Introduction to Python (online)
October 26, 2022 @ 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
This course will be offered over two mornings (10/26 and 10/28), 3.5 hours per morning, via Zoom. Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
This course provides an introduction to using Python in a data analysis and research environment. No prior programming experience is required. Participants will learn the basics of the Python language and how to use Jupyter Notebooks. Through a series of hands-on exercises, participants will learn to load data using the pandas library, create plots and data visualizations using the matplotlib library, and perform numerical analysis using the NumPy and SciPy libraries. We will briefly discuss the statsmodels and scikit-learn packages for regression and machine learning.
Instructor: Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway
Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway is an Assistant Professor in the Department of City and Regional Planning and a consultant in the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science. His research interests are in travel behavior, urban transportation, and statistical methods for transportation data analysis. He is available to assist researchers with statistics and data analysis.
Dr. Bhagat-Conway has a PhD and MA in Geography from Arizona State University, and a BA in Geography from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Prior to graduate school, he was a software developer and project manager for Conveyal, a public transport planning consulting firm, and a fellow in the Data Science for Social Good fellowship at the University of Chicago.
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $20 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholar: $40
- Non UNC-CH: $40
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 10/23/2022. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding this class, please contact Jill Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org