Using the Twitter API for Research (online)
July 12 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
This half-day course will be offered via Zoom. Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
In this course, participants will learn to use the Twitter Application Programming Interface to retrieve tweets for use in research. We will cover R packages to connect to the Twitter API, retrieve tweets from specific users or based on keywords, and extract follower networks (i.e. who follows who). Participants should register for a Twitter developer account at least a few days in advance of the class at https://developer.twitter.com/en, and should install R and RStudio on their computers.
Instructor: Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway
Matthew Wigginton Bhagat-Conway is an Assistant Professor in the Department of City and Regional Planning and a consultant in the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science. His research interests are in travel behavior, urban transportation, and statistical methods for transportation data analysis. He is available to assist researchers with statistics and data analysis.
Dr. Bhagat-Conway has a PhD and MA in Geography from Arizona State University, and a BA in Geography from the University of California, Santa Barbara. Prior to graduate school, he was a software developer and project manager for Conveyal, a public transport planning consulting firm, and a fellow in the Data Science for Social Good fellowship at the University of Chicago.
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $20 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholar: $40
- Non UNC-CH: $40
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 7/9/2022. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding the status of this class, please contact Jill Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org