- This event has passed.
Introduction to Stata (Online)
March 10 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
This online course will be offered over 3 afternoons (3/6, 3/8, and 3/10), 2 hours per day. Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
This course introduces students to Stata and data management. It is tailored for beginners and researchers who want to learn how to manage data more effectively. Each day, the class will demonstrate how to use the commands, followed by hands-on exercises using sample datasets. By the end of the course, participants will be able to perform the following:
• Use Stata’s Graphical User Interference (GUI) with dialog boxes
• Run Stata commands from the command window and from scripts (“do” files)
• Enter, transfer, and save data in different formats, e.g., Excel, SAS, SPSS, text files
• Append, merge, and sort datasets
• Identify and clean duplicate records
• Calculate new variables
• Create variable and value labels
• Generate temporary datasets
• Create a codebook
• Save and reproduce your work with “do” files
• Document your results using log files
• Run descriptive statistics
• Create graphs and tables
• Run basic statistical analyses, e.g., Ordinary Least Squares regression, correlation matrices, Chi-square tests, t-tests
Instructor: Ruy Manrique
Ruy Manrique is a PhD student at UNC’s Department of Sociology and a predoctoral trainee at the Carolina Population Center. He is also part of the team of graduate student consultants for the Odum Institute Stats Desk. Ruy has ample experience as an applied statistician and data analyst. He has been a Stata user for the past 9 years.
- $0, with a $20 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 3/3/2023. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link will be sent prior to course.
For questions regarding this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com