- This event has passed.
Qualitative Data Collection (online)
February 3 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
This one-day course will be offered via Zoom only. Course schedule is 10:00am – 4:00pm, with a 1 hour lunch and (2) 10 minute breaks (1 in morning and 1 in afternoon). Attendance is required as it will not be recorded.
Description: This 6-hour course provides a general introduction to qualitative data collection methods, with an emphasis on applications within public health. We will examine the two most commonly used qualitative data collection methods – in-depth interviews (IDIs) and focus groups (FG). Supplemental qualitative data collection activities, that can be utilized on both IDI and FG context, will also be covered. Course structure includes lecture, demonstrations, and hands-on exercises. Examples will include both domestic and international research contexts.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define what qualitative research is (and is not)
- Identify appropriate data collection
- Effectively use and apply in-depth interviews and focus groups
- Describe supplemental data collection activities that can used in concert with IDIs and FGs
Instructor: Greg Guest
Greg Guest is a Research Scientist in the Center for Health Equity Research at UNC. He is a medical anthropologist with 15+ years of public health research and evaluation experience. He has designed and led health studies among vulnerable and under-served populations in the United States, sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, with funding support from USAID, NIH and the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute. Guest has a longstanding interest in developing and testing novel field research and evaluation methods, particularly in the context of mixed methods designs and multi-sector evaluation. He has authored multiple research methods textbooks including Collecting Qualitative Data: A Field Manual for Applied Research (Sage 2013).
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $35 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc: $95
- Non UNC-CH: $145
Additional course information:
- Registration closes at 12:01am, January 31, 2023. Once registration closes, no late registrations will be accepted, no exceptions.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding the this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com