Google Earth Engine for Urban Studies (Online)
March 28 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
An event every 2 days that begins at 9:00 am, repeating until March 30, 2022
This course is being offered in collaboration between the Odum Institute and the Center for Urban & Regional Studies.
This two-day course (3/28/22 and 3/30/22) will be offered via Zoom. Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
Urbanization has been a fundamental trend of the past two centuries and a key force shaping the development of the modern world. While urbanization in rapidly growing nations is helping lift hundreds of millions of people out of poverty, it is also creating immense societal challenges by increasing greenhouse-gas emissions, destabilizing fragile ecosystems and creating new demands on public services and infrastructure that pose significant challenges on the environment. Despite the importance of understanding the drivers of urban growth, we are still unable to quantify the magnitude and pace of urbanization in a consistent manner at a high resolution and global scale.
Instructor: Ran Goldblatt
Ran Goldblatt, Ph.D. is the Chief Scientist of New Light Technologies Inc. and is a Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing expert. His work focuses on the complex interrelations between the physical and social environment and on utilizing geospatial data analysis for a more sustainable urban development. He has led multiple ground-breaking projects related to the use of daytime and nighttime remotely sensed imagery to detect long term environmental and social processes, including development of machine learning methodologies and approaches for land cover and land use mapping. He has authored and co-authored more than 30 peer-reviewed publications and serves as the Editor and Guest Editor of several Special Issues and Research Topics in leading journals.
- UNC-CH Students: $0, with a $35 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc: $95
- Non UNC-CH: $145
Additional course information:
- Registration will open 1/28/2022 and close at 12:01am 3/25/2022. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding the status of this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com