- This event has passed.
Methods for Cross Cultural Research (Online)
February 6 @ 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
This course will be offered online only. Attendance is required – this course will not be recorded.
Methods for Cross-Cultural Research is a 2.5 hour short-course focused on designing and implementing social science research cross-culturally, with a particular emphasis on collecting interview data. In the face of increasing globalization, concerns for external validity, and the importance of capturing the diversity of human experience, there is a need to consider how to implement research cross-culturally.
In this course, participants will consider different definitions of culture, how research is itself a cultural practice, what perspectives and analytical approaches can be employed in cross-cultural research, as well as best practices in designing and implementing cross-cultural research.
This course will count as 7.0 CSS short course credit hours.
Instructor: Allegra Midgette
Allegra J. Midgette, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences at Texas A&M University. Dr. Midgette completed her postdoctoral training at the Carolina Consortium on Human Development that is part of the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Dr. Midgette has collaborated with scholars in Brazil, China, Finland, Nigeria, Taiwan, and South Korea. Dr. Midgette employs a mixed methodology that places the experiential reality of children and their families at the forefront. Dr. Midgette’s program of research includes an emphasis on analyzing and integrating both developmental and cultural processes in understanding social development.
- UNC Chapel Hill Students: $0, with a $25 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC Chapel Hill Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholars: $50
- Non-UNC Chapel Hill University Student/Employee (must have active university email): $75
- Government/Non-Profit/Corporate: $100
Additional course information:
- Registration will close at 12:01am 2/3/24. No late registrations will be accepted.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for those attending online will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com