- This event has passed.
Cognitive Interviewing in Survey Research (online)
March 7 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
An event every 2 days that begins at 12:00 pm, repeating until March 9, 2023
This course will be offered over two afternoons (3/7 and 3/9 from 12pm – 4pm US Eastern) via Zoom only.
Attendance is required as the course will not be recorded.
Cognitive interviewing in survey research is a methodology researchers use to gain a better understanding of how respondents think when answering specific survey items. Data gathered using the cognitive interview approach help researchers identify and remedy issues with their questionnaires. This short course is designed to provide participants with fundamentals on how to design, conduct, and analyze cognitive interviews. Participants will have the opportunity to practice specific cognitive interviewing techniques, including think-alouds, probing, and observation. Participants will also learn about revising survey questions based on interpreting cognitive interview results.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Recognize components of the survey response process
2. Describe elements of the cognitive interview process and techniques
3. Understand how to use cognitive interviews across various survey modes
4. Complete recruitment and facilitate cognitive interview logistics
5. Design and implement a cognitive interview protocol
6. Identify ways to improve survey questionnaires and items based on cognitive interview data
This course will count as 7.0 CSS short course credits.
Instructor: Jessica Grant
Jessica Grant is the Assistant Director of Survey Research and Development in the Odum Institute for Research in Social Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She is also the Director for Odum’s Certificate in Survey Science. Prior to joining the Odum Institute, Ms. Grant was a Research Survey Scientist and Administrative Manager in the Public Health and Clinical Research program within RTI International’s Survey Research Division for over 13 years. She received her M.A. in Sociology at Fayetteville State University while working as the Survey Research Center Coordinator at Fayetteville State’s Research Center for Health Disparities. She received her B.A. in Sociology and Women’s Studies from UNC Chapel Hill.
- Certificate of Survey Science Students: $40
- UNC-CH Students: $65
- UNC-CH Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholar: $90
- Non UNC-CH: $90
Additional course information:
- This class will be offered via Zoom ONLY. Registration closes at 12:01am, 3/4/2023. Once registration closes, no late registrations will be accepted, no exceptions.
- Cancellation/ Refund Policy: A full refund will be given to those who cancel their registration no later than 10 days prior to the course. If you cancel within the 10 days prior to the class, no refund will be given. Please allow 30 days to receive your refund.
- Zoom link for this course will be sent prior to the course. Registration must be made at least 3 days prior to the course date to receive the Zoom link.
For questions regarding this class, please contact Jill Stevens at email@example.com