- This event has passed.
Introduction to Stata (online)
October 11 @ 1:00 pm - 3:30 pm
This 5-hour (10/9/23 and 10/11/23; 1pm – 3:30pm each day) course will be offered online only. Attendance is required – this course will not be recorded.
This course introduces students to Stata and data management. It is tailored for beginners and researchers who want to learn how to manage data more effectively. Each day, the class will demonstrate how to use the commands, followed by hands-on exercises using sample datasets. By the end of the course, participants will be able to perform the following:
• Use Stata’s Graphical User Interference (GUI) with dialog boxes
• Run Stata commands from the command window and from scripts (“do” files)
• Enter, transfer, and save data in different formats, e.g., Excel, SAS, SPSS, text files
• Inspect the contents of a Stata dataset
• Append, merge, and sort datasets
• Identify and clean duplicate records
• Calculate new variables
• Create and manage labels for variables and values
• Recode variables
• Work with blocks of observations (“by” processing)
• Perform row-wise calculations (groups of columns)
• Collapse data into summary tables
• Reshape between long and wide formats
• Save and reproduce your work with “do” files
• Obtain descriptive statistics
• Create graphs and tables
• Run basic statistical analyses, e.g., Ordinary Least Squares regression, correlation matrices, Chi-square tests, t-tests
Instructor: Ruy Manrique
Ruy Manrique is a PhD student at UNC’s Department of Sociology and a predoctoral trainee at the Carolina Population Center. He is also part of the team of graduate student consultants for the Odum Institute Stats Desk. Ruy has ample experience as an applied statistician and data analyst. He has been a Stata user for the past 9 years.
- UNC Chapel Hill Students: $0, with a $35 deposit to hold your spot (deposit is refundable upon your attendance for at least 66% of the course)
- UNC Chapel Hill Faculty/Staff/Postdoc/Resident/Visiting Scholars: $80
- Non-UNC Chapel Hill University Student/Employee (must have active university email): $105
- Government/Non-Profit/Corporate: $130
Additional course information:
- This class will be offered via Zoom ONLY. Registration closes at 12:01am, 10/6/2023. Once registration closes, no late registrations will be accepted, no exceptions.
- Zoom link will be emailed prior to class start date.
For questions regarding the status of this class, please contact Jill Stevens at firstname.lastname@example.org